Friday 18 November 2011

Mental health and employment

Mark Brown, editor of One-in-Four magazine has written an excellent feature of mental health and employment.  It is one of the few articles I have come across that speaks common sense on the role of work in mental health recovery.  Mark acknowledges that the journey back into work from secondary or primary care is not straightforward and that employment is not a panacea in itself.  As Mark says:

'For me, the most important thing to remember when discussing work and recovery is that work itself isn’t a magic four letter word; it’s everything that someone gains from being in work that is important'.

Mark Brown is the editor of One in Four magazine
For the full article:
http://www.oneinfourmag.org/index.php/mental-health-and-work-not-a-magic-four-letter-word/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks John. It's hard to think that I gave that speech in 2008.

    It was only when someone said to me 'I remember your speech about mental health and work' that I actually remembered making it and went to hunt it out of my files.

    I suppose the final form that the Work Programme has taken makes it more relevant now than it was then.

    ReplyDelete